Although I’m not a zealot, I think Apple makes great products. I use OS X, Linux, Android and Windows every single day (often simultaneously) so I’m not married to any specific product line or OS, but there is not argument that Apple makes solid, refined, and beautiful products.
So my gripe? From today’s Apple Event:
10:24 a.m. Apple has paid more than $3 billion to app developers
This isn’t the first time I’ve seen this kind of message from Apple. As a licensed iOS developer, they email me the same kind of tripe pretty regularly. It is not that the statement isn’t true, Apple has written many checks to its army of independent developers. It is the arrogant slant to what is being said.
The developers develop product on their own dime and with all the risks that accompany that. Then they get to go through the onerous app approval process. Finally, their app appears on the market and they get to try an market it. If/when people finally buy it, Apple gets the first 30% and passes the other 70% on to the developer. I’m not complaining about this – Apple has created solid products and implemented a fabulous distribution system.
But Apple has not paid the developers over 3 billion dollars simply out of kindness – I would contend that Apple is not really paying them at all. The customers are the ones who are paying the app developers and Apple is just the middle man.
The truth is that developers have generated 1.3 billion dollars for Apple.